Large: 46cm L x 28cm W x 26cm H (seat) for 3 years and older
The distinctive shape of the Original Wheely Bug is very user friendly. The bright and friendly design is an instant attraction to girls and boys alike. They go backwards, forwards, sideways, and round and round. Children don't get stuck against obstacles like some other ride on toys. Wheely Bugs help promote gross motor skills and balance like no other toy. Wheely Bug bodies have a padded layer of sponge which is covered with a tough layer of polyurethane leatheroid and can be easily wiped clean. They are great to use on smooth level floors and ideal for indoors.
- Unique concept will increase gross motor skills which are the very foundation for all future mental and physical development.
- Bright, soft and friendly, an instant attraction to young girls and boys alike.
- Tough covering, resistant to the inevitable “little accidents”, easy to clean.
- Constructed with only the highest quality components.
- Multidirectional castors, no more getting stuck against obstacles.
- Researched and developed in child care centres (designed for “industrial’” kid use.)
- Certified tested and exceeds Toy Safety Standards.
- Intended for use on smooth floors, ideal for indoors.
- Spring mounted “feelers”, wobble much to the delight of children, have an internal limiter cord, cannot be removed with a force less than 30kg. Cord prevents spring kinking.
- Has now been in use in over 1,000 child care centres for more than ten years. The toughest test field for toys known to human kind.
- Contemporary twist on the traditional wooden toy.
- A generation toy that can be passed down.
- Clean with soap and water. Never use polishes, abrasive cleaners or steel wool. Strong solvents eg acetone, can damage the surface.
- Exposure to sunlight for long periods can result in colour fading. Don't leave out in the open. Keep sharp points away from the covering.
- The base is made from plantation grown poplar plywood and has distinctive rounded contours.
- The "feelers" are made with stainless steel spring and have an internal limiter cord to resist pull out.
- The handle is aluminum so it won't rust... all in all Wheely Bugs are constructed for years of fun; and can become heirloom.
Wheely Bug History
In 1995 they were looking to start their own business and had the inspiration when they noticed their neighbour’s 1 year old boy wanted to ride a toy just like his big brother. Unfortunately the only thing he could sit astride was his toy dump truck which had straight ahead wheels. He would happily push along until he met an obstacle then scream until someone physically pointed him in another direction.
Needless to say it wasn’t long until the next screaming fit!! That night a partner had the idea to make a ride-on-toy with castors so that little ones could easily direct themselves.
He wanted first to make it a truck or motorcycle but they wanted it to be non-gender specific and suggested they make it in the form of an animal.
They had a toy wombat in the house but decided something more colourful would be better, and then they noticed the Ladybug magnet on their fridge and thought it would make a great shape.
They made a prototype which they took to a number of Child Care Centres to test and get some professional feedback.
After a few small changes to the shape and the filling they had it safety tested and began making about 50 a week under their house.
Initially they sold only to Child Care Centres because they felt they appreciated the robustness of their design, they hated seeing needless waste of cheap plastic toys ending up in the bin in less than a year! Eventually on one of their sales trips they came across a fantas- tic toy store which they felt matched their ethic and were delighted when the owner immediately bought 12 from them!
From there it was simply word of mouth from one good toy store to another and the Wheely Bug was launched into the Australian retail market.